Family/Divorce Arbitration &
For those who cannot settle their family law disputes together in mediation or through negotiation, and who need a binding decision made for them, we offer private arbitration and mediation-arbitration.
We know how stressful and expensive the family court system can be; we have all litigated there in our careers.
Although arbitration is not the best choice for everyone, in many cases arbitration can be a good choice compared to going to court.
Our team has years of experience adjudicating family law matters as private arbitrators, and, in the case of Cliff Nelson, as a former long-serving judge of the Superior Court of Justice.
We can arbitrate single issues or act as long-term case management specialists in difficult matters. We can mediate first or proceed directly to arbitration if the matter is urgent.
The benefits of family arbitration include:
- you get to select your adjudicator
- you do not need to have a lawyer (although it is always recommended that you do)
- your arbitration process can be designed to meet your family’s needs
- arbitration is confidential unless there is an appeal
- both parties are first screened for suitability and power imbalances, increasing the chances of a successful experience
- although the parties pay for the time of the arbitrator, all time is used efficiently.
- the process can be expedited, with agreed limits on witnesses and the amount of time each side will have to present their case
- it can be done by affidavit or on the basis of documents alone
- we can include co-arbitrators or other experts if helpful.
- it can be less intimidating and less formal than court
- it can be faster
- you can tailor the appeal options to meet the needs of the situation
- the parties decide what issues will be decided by the arbitrator, how long the process will take and who will be involved.