November 22, 23 & 24, 2017
Toronto, ON (Location TBD)
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
This workshop follows a real case, in real time, from the first email to closing the file, over three days. Students will interact with “real” clients, deal with typical, daily challenges in a family mediation practice, learn how to open, manage and close files, and practice their mediation skills in a realistic and fast-paced setting,with professional feedback from experienced instructors.
- First communications with clients
- Intake meetings, confidentiality, risk assessment
- Advanced conflict analysis
- How to decide (and communicate your decision) on whether to take a case
- Advanced preparation for mediation
- Mediator’s opening statements
- Review of agreements to mediate
- Responding to concerns about conflict of interest, bias, child protection concerns
- Advanced mediation of financial disclosure, parenting, child support
- Liability concerns, ethical dilemmas, codes of conduct
- Advanced MOU drafting
- Corresponding with clients and counsel; documenting and file storage; fees and collections
- Using technology in your mediation practice
Hilary Linton and Elizabeth Hyde with guest speakers, coaches and professional actors
- Standard Cost: $950 (plus HST=$1073.50)
- Early Bird Rate: $900 (plus HST=$1017) – paid before October 22, 2017
- 40 Hour Family Mediation Skills (or equivalent)
- 14 hours Power Imbalances in Family Law Cases
- 30 hours Family Law (for non-lawyers)
- 21 Hours Introduction to ADR (Conflict, Negotiation & Dispute Resolution) (This course is a recommended pre-requisite, but not mandatory)
Note: In individual cases we may be prepared to waive prerequisites for students who can establish equivalent training or who plan to take prerequisites in the future.
Registration closes 5 days prior to the start of the course. Full payment is due before registration can be confirmed.
Course Cancellation Policy:
(1) A 15% admin fee (plus HST) will be charged on cancellations made more than 14 days before the start date of the training date; (2) For cancellation requests received less than 14 days before the start date of the training, we reserve the right to not issue a refund given the expenses incurred to accommodate the participant, such as overhead, training materials, food and instructor costs.
We reserve the right to change program content, speakers and locations without notice. We reserve the right to cancel any workshop and will provide a 100% refund in such circumstances.
“the role plays were challenging but a great learning experience”
“excellent feedback and coaching”
“(appreciated the) coaches, quality of materials and instructors”
“The role plays were excellent. I really enjoyed the coaching.”
“Hilary and the Riverdale team provided the best family mediation course training I have experienced. I highly recommend this course.”
“Your mix of actors and students added great value to this course. Excellent cases were chosen. Your group are very good presenters and clearly promote the field of mediation.”
“…enjoyed the use of examples that the instructors would provide in their presentations. As well…small group discussions to view other class members approaches to the material”
“The varied very competent slate of presenters/coaches provided us, learners, with a wealth of experience and information.”
(click icon below to view PDF version)