October 25, 26, 27, 30 & 31, 2017
Toronto, ON (Location TBD)
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
This 40 hour, highly interactive, role-play based course is designed to meet the requirements for the FDRP Arb (Certified Specialist in Family Arbitration) and FDRP PC (Certified Specialist in Parenting Coordination) designations offered by FDRIO.
It is critical for parenting coordinators and family arbitrators to have solid grasp of arbitration law and procedure. In this practical and in-depth course, students will learn:
Substantive Knowledge Base
- Nature of conflict and conflict management, disputes and dispute resolution theory and principles, including definitions of ADR, negotiation, mediation, mediation-arbitration or med-arb, and arbitration)
- Principles of applicable law
- Arbitration Act, 1991, Family Arbitration Regulation, Family Law Act, and the family arbitration process
- Area-specific terminology and practice
- Interviewing prospective participants to inform them of the family arbitration process and assist them in making an informed choice
- Screening for domestic violence and power imbalances
- Preparing a Family Arbitration Agreement
- Conducting pre-hearing arbitration meeting(s)
- Managing the family arbitration process
- Appropriate communication skills and knowledge
- Conducting the arbitration hearing
- Application of the rules of evidence
- Assessing evidence
- Application of the applicable law
- Preparing the family arbitration record, award, and arbitrator report
- Adhering to FDRIO Standards of Practice and Standards of Practice for Family Arbitrators
Richard W. Shields
Hilary Linton (Riverdale Mediation)
- Standard Cost: $1400 plus HST ($1582)
- FDRIO members rate: $1250 plus HST ($1412.50)
For further savings see Course Packages
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER. If you are having troubles, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration closes 5 days prior to the start of the course. Full payment is due before registration can be confirmed.
Course Cancellation Policy:
(1) A 15% admin fee (plus HST) will be charged on cancellations made more than 14 days before the start date of the training date; (2) For cancellation requests received less than 14 days before the start date of the training, we reserve the right to not issue a refund given the expenses incurred to accommodate the participant, such as overhead, training materials, food and instructor costs.
We reserve the right to change program content, speakers and locations without notice. We reserve the right to cancel any workshop and will provide a 100% refund in such circumstances.
“The pace was good! Materials helpful and the collegiality.” – 2017 participant
“The content was dense and detailed. Very relevant.” – 2017 participant
“Found (the course) extremely practical and easy to follow.” – 2017 participant
“As a non-lawyer, content was provided in a way we understand. Excellent experiences shared that provided practical understanding. Handbook is a great resource.”
– 2017 participant