20/40 Hours Of Basic Family Mediation Training & 20/20 Hours Of Advanced Family Mediation Training
May 10, 11, 14, 15 & 16, 2018
Toronto, ON (Location TBD)
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
This comprehensive, role-play based five-day workshop features experienced mediators, professional actors, experienced coaches and expert guest speakers. It includes both basic and advanced level skills training and is designed to partially meet the certification requirements of the OAFM, FDRIO and ADRIO. Through lectures, group discussion, video demonstrations, guest speakers, readings, role plays and one-on-one coaching you will learn:
- Review of conflict and negotiation theory
- Advanced strategies and skills for persuasive negotiation
- Basic and advanced skills for effective mediation
- Different approaches to mediation
- The impact of domestic violence and abuse on parents, children and mediation process
- Addressing power imbalances in mediation process design
- Understanding the impact of cultural differences in negotiation and mediation process
- The impact of conflict on children and parents
- Effective parenting plans: strategies for moderate & high conflict families
- Mediating child support, spousal support and property division
- Drafting settlement documents
- Ethical and liability issues
- Important legal cases
- Building and maintaining your practice
Hilary Linton and Elizabeth Hyde. With guest speakers, coaches and professional actors.
- Standard Cost: $1950 plus HST ($2203.50)
- Early Bird Rate: $1800 (plus HST=$2034) – pay by April 10, 2018
For further savings see Course Packages
(1) Family law experience; OR, (2) Family Law (30 hour course), preferably Introduction to ADR (21 hours), and Screening for Family Violence (21 hours).
Note: In individual cases we may be prepared to waive prerequisites for students who can establish equivalent training or who plan to take prerequisites in the future.
Registration closes 5 days prior to the start of the course. Full payment is due before registration can be confirmed.
Course Cancellation Policy:
(1) A 15% admin fee (plus HST) will be charged on cancellations made more than 14 days before the start date of the training date; (2) For cancellation requests received less than 14 days before the start date of the training, we reserve the right to not issue a refund given the expenses incurred to accommodate the participant, such as overhead, training materials, food and instructor costs.
We reserve the right to change program content, speakers and locations without notice. We reserve the right to cancel any workshop and will provide a 100% refund in such circumstances.
“I would highly recommend this course to professionals… lawyers, social workers, mental health professionals.”
“The quality of the materials and exercises was matched by the experience and enthusiasm of the instructors and coaches.” – Jason Murphy
“This has been the best experience that I have had as an adult learner… What made it so was the theory taken into practice with coaches and professional actors. Fantastic!”
“Extraordinary course – thought-provoking, thorough, highly organized!”
“Very much enjoyed Jared’s presentation; found the topic very interesting from a mental health/social worker perspective. Role plays and fish bowl exercises very useful.”- Andrea Nauf
(click icon below to view PDF version)