September 25, 26 & 27 / 28, 2017*
*30 hours of family law training is required by the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General for anyone providing Parenting Coordination and Family Arbitration services. As well, the Riverdale Mediation Internship Program requires applicants to have at least 30 hours of family law training.
Toronto, ON (Location TBD)
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
An accessible and engaging overview of Ontario family law, this course is designed for anyone seeking to become an accredited family mediator, parenting coordinator or arbitrator, who does not have a family law background.
The primary purpose of the course to learn how to ensure that clients understand the legal implications of any potential settlement options.
Participants will learn:
- the essential statutes that govern family law practice in Ontario
- the role of case law in determining legal rights and obligations
- the interplay between parenting plans and financial issues:
- basic law regarding custody, access, mobility & third party rights
- basic child support law
- basic spousal support law
- basic property division law
- domestic contracts
- enforceability of settlements
- related areas of law: criminal, bankruptcy, corporate, real estate, succession, tax
- drafting essentials when documenting proposed settlements
Hilary Linton and Elizabeth Hyde with guest speakers (TBA)
- Standard Cost: $1050 (plus HST=$1186.50)
- Early Bird Rate: $1000 (plus HST=$1130) – pay by August 25, 2017
For further savings see Course Package B: Mediation Accreditation for non-Family Lawyers
This course is required for professionals who are not family lawyers and wish to register for our Basic Family Negotiation and Mediation course.
Registration closes 5 days prior to the start of the course. Full payment is due before registration can be confirmed.
Course Cancellation Policy:
(1) A 15% admin fee (plus HST) will be charged on cancellations made more than 14 days before the start date of the training date; (2) For cancellation requests received less than 14 days before the start date of the training, we reserve the right to not issue a refund given the expenses incurred to accommodate the participant, such as overhead, training materials, food and instructor costs.
We reserve the right to change program content, speakers and locations without notice. We reserve the right to cancel any workshop and will provide a 100% refund in such circumstances.
“The facilitators were all excellent. It was very educational to have different presenters. Level of knowledge was very high. All were able to explain complex concepts into understandable English” – Sandra Palmer
“Hilary’s passion for the field is infectious and so evident in how she presents her material and in the fantastic guest speakers who we had the pleasure of hearing. It is understandable why Riverdale has a great reputation as the foremost in Mediation education.”
“Really enjoyed hearing from different speakers – broke up the day. Appreciated the professional stories; humour is great!”
“Content was great. Instructor’s worked towards need of the students, based on what their needs would be.” – Farooq Noordin
“An excellent overview of the field as a whole!”
“Exposure to foundational issues, confidence in instructors.”
“An extremely well-balanced approach of the breadth and depth of family law that can be covered in a 30-hour course.”
“Generally, I found it informative and detailed enough to feel (like) I have a grasp of the legal concepts. Presenters were positive yet realistic, and answered questions well and interacted with each other well.”
(click icon below to view PDF version)