This 40-hour, interactive course will explore the fundamentals of civil mediation through lectures, group discussion, video demonstrations, guest speakers, readings, role plays and one-on-one coaching.
- Explore the nature of conflict, how conflicts escalate into disputes, and tools for helping mediators identify, assess and manage conflict in mediation
- Identify the range of dispute resolution process options available to parties with disputes
- Evaluate the impact of power in mediation including the power of the mediator
- Reflect on issues of ethics and relevant codes of conduct
- Consider issues of gender, gender equality and gender differences in mediation and negotiation
- Learn and become at ease applying essential mediation skills
- Learn how to help parties in dispute prepare for and participate effectively in mediation